Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Redemption!





It has been very warm with a southerly wind for the last few days. I haven't seen much the last few days and I have had no pics at the scrape where I have had so many over the last few weeks. Last night the warm front moved out and the wind switched to the north, so this morning I went back to the stand where I missed the other day. I was about 15 minutes later than I wanted to be, i was in the stand by a bit after 6am ( I could already see). At 6:15 I could hear see something running up the run toward me. I could just see enough to shoot, as 3 coyotes came running up the run. One of them made the mistake of stopping for a lip squeak at 10 yds. I let the arrow go and I knew it found its mark and he ran off. At 6:20 I could hear something else coming up the run, I assumed it was another coyote, I was wrong. A big bodied deer was approaching, I readied myself as he slowly walked up the run. He walked past my stand at 15 yds, I gave him a soft "errp", and he stopped, THWACK!! This time I didn't miss, a double lung shot, and I knew he wasn't going far. He ran about 50 yds behind the stand and I heard the great sound of a deer falling down. The real fun was getting him out. I was a long way from a road, and had some rough terrain between me and civilization. Thankfully I had a willing friend who wanted to help, I could have never done it without his help, thank you Kevin. The buck which I thought was an 8pt turned out to be a 7pt, he had never grown a brow tine on his left side. The buck weighed in at 180lbs dressed. We found the coyote about 50 yds further than the deer. The coyote had only 3 legs. The right front leg only had about a 3 inch stump, it was well healed and covered in fur. It must have been caught in a trap at a young age.

No comments:

Post a Comment