Thursday, November 5, 2009

Close but no cigar


On my way out yesterday I swung past my camera over the scrape and found it had several new pics. I decided to hunt that stand in the morning today. At 7:15am I heard a deer approaching from out and to my left. It was the steady cadence of a buck on the prowl. I readied expecting the deer to hopefully come into the scrape. As the deer came into view I could see It was a decent 8pt. The deer was quartering in my direction but was online to move past out of range. As he reached the shelf I was on I gave him a couple soft grunts. He stopped and stared for about 30 seconds. He then began to walk on the same route. I tried again, he again stopped and stared but would not come. He dipped into the ravine behind me and out of sight. After a minute or two went by I heard a grunt from that direction and I grunted back. Immediately a deer began running in my direction, i readied myself again. Instead of the buck coming to me a doe came running up the hill to about 35yds (again I have no doe permit). She began to feed and worked away from me down the run. It became obvious that the buck wouldn't come to me because he wanted her instead. I checked my camera when I got down and found it had numerous pics from the night before, one of which I believe was the buck I saw this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment