Monday, November 23, 2009

Awesome bow season


My bow season started out with two does during the first week. I was hunting an oak flat north of a saddle where I'd seen deer in the past. A NW wind blew my first hunt and I was unable to fill my 4N doe tag. The next night Oct 16th, I set up in a stand south east of the saddle and at 5:20pm I heard that unmistakable sound of deer moving. Two does (I assume the same two from the night before) came in from my left. A NW wind was perfect. Both does looked mature, probably 110-120 lbs. As they fed in the oaks towards me, I heard a branch break in the direction from where they came and they both snapped to. Suddenly, all hell broke loose and they went running under my stand just as I saw another deer coming down the run. I thought "monster buck". Not quite. A small basket racked six comes running in on their trail, grunted once. I could tell he was smaller than the does, but I had never shot a deer with my new bow. As a matter of fact, I had never shot a deer with a bow in MA in all of the years I had been hunting so this was his unlucky night. As he walked up the run, I came to full draw and stopped him broadside at 15 yards with a bleat. The release of the arrow seemed like it was in slow motion as I watched the arrow pass through right behind the front shoulder. I watched him do the death run an pile up 50 yds away! My first MA bow kill. 100lb 6pt.
After a few uneventful sits, I was in my stand on Nov 9th well before daylight. At 8:00 am I caught a coyote jumping a stonewall to my left at 75 yds. A couple of bleats and he was working his way to me. At 35 yds I released and watch him scramble. Thought I missed. At 8:30 am, I was day dreaming when I caught a glimpse of a deer working along a ridge 80 yds to my left. Once it was out of sight, I gave a couple of grunts. A minute later I saw a decent buck appear above me in the oaks a t 100yds walking away. When he stopped, I gave 2 grunts and he almost turned inside out, spinning around in my direction. He immediately pawed the ground and pissed on his hocks. He then started heading in my direction! When he was about 45 yds out, he pawed the ground again and racked a tree branch. At 30 yds, he caught wind of the arrow I shot at the coyote and stopped broadside dead in his tracks. I released and he took 3-4 bounds and stopped. I immediately knew I had made a marginal shot. Low and farther back possibly a gut shot. He walked off. After waiting a few hours, my dad brother and I picked up the trail. Good blood for the first 150 yds. He bedded several times and then the blood trail dried up, One drop every 10 yds. We left him in the afternoon when he started heading up hill. The next morning I went in and resumed the trail. After a couple of hours and 150 tedious yds, I found him dead! 148 lb 7pt. Now it's just a doe tag in MA. First time I every tagged out with two bucks. Lucky year for me. I forgot to add in that I did hit the coyote. Found a big pool of blood but no dirty dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment