Saturday, November 21, 2009

My bow season

This is my third year hunting this area(my first year with a bow). There are plenty of deer but the terrain is tough. I spent a lot of time out in the woods Pre-season checking for sign and setting my trail cameras. I was excited to see the number of pictures I got.

Once the season was underway I primarily sat two stands. One on the east side of the mountain and one on the west side of the mountain(About 1.5 miles apart).

On the morning of Nov 2, I had a close encounter with a spike we named crazy(he has one straight spike and one that twisted like a unicorn). I had trail cam pics of him on the west side of the mountain during pre-season, almost 1 1/2 miles away. He caught me off guard as he came in over my left shoulder, and came right to my tree with his nose in the air. He went directly under my stand and got away without a shot.

Later that evening before dark, I, for an unknown reason, stood up in my stand looking up the hillside. A short time later I saw a big bodied buck with a nice rack travelling south (about 70 yds above me). I attempted a couple of bleats and grunts without success. About ten Minutes later another big bodied buck with a nice rack crossed in the same spot. I was determined to make sure he heard my grunts, so I gave it a little umph. Which resulted in a horrifying sound. The buck stopped momentarily but never came my way. The kicker is I have a stand on the run they were travelling but chose to go to the lower stand.

The next morning I sat the same stand. At daylight I had three does come over my left shoulder going on a 45% angle away from me. No chance for a shot.

Though I didn't get a kill I had a great season so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment