Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Whitetail Blog Wednesday October 5

Had the best weather conditions of the young season today, low 39, calm, clear and chilly!  Fleece jacket, fleece neck gaiter, 2nd pair of socks, hand warmers? Check, check check and check.  Got into my stands ninja quiet for a 4 and half hour morning hunt and a 3 hour afternoon hunt, trees pooring acorns, thermals were taking my wind up into the trees all morning long as the sun came up, thermals took my wind right off the hillside all afternoon and the sun went down... Wait for it, ZERO DEER today.  I checked my camera, another coyote last night, I think the deer are officially avoiding my area due to the carcass from last Wednesday.  I moved my camera from my ridge stand overlooking a group of oaks pouring acorns (see pic) to the corner of the adjacent hillside where a ton of oaks are pouring acorns over an area loaded with last years scrapes and rubs.  At this point, I'm abandoning CT for a few more days in favor of an earlier morning and a longer drive to NY for some more public land pursuit.  I should at the least have our NY grounds to myself and the deer will have no hunters to dodge or smell as they work their way to bedding, improving my odds greatly from the normal weekend traffic, which I still went 3/3 with sightings Saturday-Monday.  Stay tuned, the next 4 days will be live from New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment