Friday, October 7, 2016

Friday, October 7th

Back to NY, 3:00 am again for a morning hunt with my dad and two guys from our NY crew Reggie and Pat.  Today there were only 10 deer in the field by the road and abandoned house, 8 doe's and 2 young bucks sparring.  The good news is they'll probably head up the mountain, the bad news is we have to walk by them without totally blowing them out of there.  Another awesome morning for hunting, 45 degree low, calm wind, crunchy leaves.  At around 7:30 am I spotted a deer moving quickly up the mountain, as I stood up to get ready, I thought I noticed it was a doe in a hurry and that got the blood pumping in anticipation of what could be spooking her.  After losing sight of her when she got on my bench, I noticed a deer step out from where I last saw her and stare down the mountain.  Unfortunately, it was not a doe, it was a familiar face, the same 6pt I saw last Sunday morning.  Good deer to experiment with I thought, and I threw a short grunt at him, he immediately grunted back and came walking in my direction about 30yds.  I grunted again, he grunted back and closed another 20yds.  He was now at about 35yds so I left him alone, he crunched down half a dozen acorns in less than 5 minutes and then bolted in excitement through my shooting lanes across the bench, stopped again and calmed himself down on some more acorns.  As I was losing sight of him 70yds away, I head another deer walking toward me from where the 6pt came from.  Enter the 4pt from opening day, walking in like a boss.  He stopped briefly at the scrape but didn't hang around, he went straight for the trail and headed up the mountain.  I could still see the 6pt in the distance but I don't think he even heard the 4pt and the two never met up.  As I pulled out my phone to let my dad know about the action, I had a text from him already stating he just had a 4pt close by was busted by him and he headed my way.  That was it for the morning, Reggie and Pat didn't see any deer, no other action aside from the busy squirrels all morning long.  Back at it on Saturday...

No comments:

Post a Comment