Monday, October 10, 2016

October 10th... Still getting action.

My NY tag is filled which has turned my focus back to CT, and guess what, the deer have returned!  I shot a doe on Wednesday 9/28 that was found by coyote's in the middle of the afternoon before I could recover her.  Since that day, I saw no deer on back to back sits in a stand that was 3/3 with sits/sightings, and my camera went from 3-40 pics a week for 3 weeks to zero pics in a week since the carcass was in the area.  Knowing shooting light is getting later and later, I slept in until 4:00 am, instead of 3:00 am like I did last week, left the house by 4:30 to arrive at my parking spot by 5:15 am, leaving plenty of time to switch into my scent free clothes and get to the stand well before shooting light arrived at around 6:30 am.  Today's conditions were rut like; while it was only 43 degrees for a low, that matched the low to date this season, and the steady 12-15 mph NNW wind had me confident nothing was catching my scent today at the top of the ridge.  Looking over my shoulder at 7:10 am my eyes caught two doe's walking through the open oaks and hemlocks behind me, looking like they were taking the same path as the doe I shot only 12 days earlier.  I was filming myself this morning, although that proved difficult with the doe's directly behind me at about 70 yds, feeding, taking a few steps, feeding some more, taking their time getting on top of the ridge.  As soon as I thought I could tell they were coming my way, I lost sight of them, and seconds later confirmed more movement walking away from me down the ridge to the run that crosses the brook below connecting my ridge to an adjacent ridge the deer pass between.  The rest of the morning was cool and breezy today, its starting to feel like fall.  I checked my camera on a scrape on the way out, no action to speak of.  The bucks are not scraping much at all the last couple weeks minus some yearling bucks I've seen pawing in community scrapes in NY.  My cameras are showing mostly only doe movement for the few I've recently checked.  As of now, the action is slow, bucks seem to be laying low in general, no fresh rubs or scrapes seen in 3 states the last two weeks, the October lull might be legit right now.  I'm heading back to the same stand tomorrow to hope for that nice 8 or 9 point that were frequenting the area just a few weeks ago, but its October now, things are changing in the deer woods. My gut tells me its not going to happen because I don't have that kind of luck and its the October lull and I could come up with 20 other reasons the bucks won't move this time of year... But hey, it could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment