Wednesday, November 6, 2013

New Zone

After spending much more time scouting than hunting, I finally scored a decent spot in Zone 7 last week which is completely foreign to me.  I have hunted the same private property in Zone 4N until the owner sold the property last year.  So now I was on to greener and unfamiliar pastures. 
This left a lot of question marks and access issues. But it was only a matter of time before getting back into a groove spot.
So I landed a spot in Hampden out of the blue last week.  It was a tiny 5 acre piece but surrounded by hundreds of other acres and the landowner saw deer almost every day.  A good sign.  So I scouted it Sunday and it didn't take long to find a couple of intersecting runs.  I was a little nervous after hearing about the issues in this town with private property, the police and fish cops, I didn't feel comfortable to put up a hang on stand.  So I cleared a tree where I could use my climber.
On Tuesday, I got up in the stand at about 3:45 and an hour later, four does came in.  Since I had a doe tag for this zone, I had already made up my mind that I would take a mature doe for the freezer if the opportunity presented itself.   The first three scooted by me at 15 yards presenting poor shots.  But the fourth followed in their footsteps and I was ready to stop her at the right location.  She came through just like the previous three and I gave a quick mouth grunt just before getting behind a brush pile.  Fatal mistake.  I made the shot, a little farther back than I wanted but it was the only place I could sneak one through.  It turned out to be a liver shot and a complete pass through. Thank god for the Nok-Turnal as it was easy to find the arrow after dark and the blood trail.  She went about 100 yards and a pretty easy tracking with the rage three blade.  Although it is always a sucky feeling when you start the drag and the damn 'yotes start yipping behind you.
But we made it back to the truck no problem and it's good to get one out of the way with the best time yet to come.  Nice two and a half year old doe.

No comments:

Post a Comment