Monday, November 11, 2013

Tagged out

On Nov. 7, I went to a stand I had only hunted for a few hours one morning.  It was almost noon and I was there to check my camera.  As I walked up the bank a deer took off near my treestand.  I looked at the camera and I had pictures of a three point.  I changed up and climbed into the stand and the rain came.  Showers only and it was supposed to clear before evening.

Shortly before 3:00 it stopped and I texted Brian to get ready that they would be on the move.  At about 3:25 I caught movement on my left and it was the three point working his way along the top of the bank.  He walked in and he was so close and straight down that I wouldn't take the shot.  As he turned to walk under a tree that was hung up I drew.  He heard me and took a couple of bounds and stopped.

This actually gave me a better shot as he was only about 15 yards but quartering away.  I hit him back toward the last few ribs and the arrow exited just behind the front leg on the opposite side.  He is not a monster as he only weighed 111 pounds but the last time I tagged out in MA was 1999 so I'll take it as I have two tags in NH to try an fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment