Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Second chance buck



On Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:15 PM I was sitting in my tree stand when I heard foot steps from a deer walking.  I looked back and saw a spike approaching.  Since this was the first buck I had seen in MA I wasn't about to pass him up.

I had shot a porcupine that had been pissing me off and I had thrown it in the brush.  During the night some animal had dragged it out of the brush and it was now in the spikes path.  As he approached he stared at the dead carcass and then veered off and circled around to look at it.  He was broadside at 21 yards and acting nervous about the dead critter.  No excuse I just blew the shot as the arrow sailed right over the top of his back.

The next afternoon I was back in the same stand when again I heard a deer approaching from behind.  I had seen 5 does and a button in the morning and I could tell this deer was alone so I thought it might be a buck.  I glanced back and watched this 4 PT clean a scrape, rub his head in the branches and then piss.  Once that was done he walked by me quartering away just slightly.  I slipped the arrow in a little far back and got guts but it came out on the other side through the last two ribs. 

I left him till morning but he had only gone about 75 yrads.  The coyotes had eaten the tail off and were just starting to pull at the fur when I found him.  He weighed 121 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment