Tuesday, November 2, 2010

MA bow season 2nd deer, What a story!


I had planned to get out to my stand about 1400hrs this afternoon. My truck was in the shop and I didn't get home until about 1545hrs.

I immediately geared up and headed for the woods. I had planned to hunt a stand off the northwest face of the mountain. I parked on the east side of the mountain and began my hike in. I was about 3/4 of the way in when I began to climb the last steep hill. When I say steep I mean steep (about a 50-70 degree angle). About half way up the hill I came to an old logging road that zigzags up the mountain. My ears quickly perked up when I heard the sound of a deer running directly toward me. I froze in my tracks.

Approximately 60 yards strait ahead of me a buck crested the top of the mountain. It was a mature buck(I could see 6 points and couldn't tell if it had any brow tines). He slowly continued toward me. I drew my bow, but I knew this deer was well out of my range. I thought better of taking a shot. He stepped behind a small white pine which allowed me to let my string down.

He stood there for a minute looking in my direction . As he began to move toward me again I drew my bow. He took a couple steps and came to a stop at 40 yards +/-. He was now straight on staring directly at me. I knew it was now or never. I put my 40YD pin at the base of his neck, hoping to hit him in the chest. I let my arrow fly. It paralleled the steep grade and appeared to be a good shot. He quickly spun and went 10 yards up the hill where he disappeared behind a ledge.

I made phone calls to BK and MW and told them my story. I checked the area of my shot and found my arrow. The first five inches of my arrow was missing, and broken again about 8 more inches up. There was blood that would have been 3/4 of a way up the arrow had in not been broken. I found good blood on the ground near the arrow. I called BK and MW back and both agreed to meet me at my house an hour later to start looking for this deer.

An hour later BK,MW, and AS were at the house ready to start our search. It wasn't long before we were on the blood trail. It was good at first, slowed a little, but then really picked up. Long story short it had gone about 200YDS. I can't even tell you how happy I was when I saw this big bodied buck on the ground.

This was truly a special moment in my life. Probably only a few of you reading this can truly understand. To harvest this awesome deer in such a unique way and to share this moment with three great friends only made it that much more special.

Back at the house we were joined by MK. I was enjoying the moment over some suds with my friends when I said how great it was to harvest this deer because I had so many things to do. BK said he doesn't know anyone who has tagged out with two bucks and a doe during bow season. I know that I won't be able to stay out of the woods for long.....

No comments:

Post a Comment