Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The 10 Minute Sit


Got in my stand I call Conlon's Crossing at 4:15pm on Monday Nov 1st. Perfect NW wind. While I was texting my brother, I heard what I believed to be deer walking. Nah, couldn't be I just got into the stand. Then I heard that unmistakable sound of deer walking and when I looking up from my text, I almost fell out of the tree as I saw this bruiser at 55 yds! He was walking towards me, acting very cautious. I was able to grab my bow when he got to 45yds. I drew when he went behind an oak tree and when he stepped out, he was angling towards me at what I thought was 35 yds. I had to relax my draw as the angle was bad and he wasn't budging. He took three more steps and was broadside at what I thought was 30 yds ( I later paced it at 41 yds! Time for a range finder) He was acting awfully spooky as he was right where I had just walked in 10 minutes prior. I put the pin on his shoulder about halfway up the body and released. An immediate hit on the shoulder, but I thought it was low. He bounded off 35 yds and wobbled a bit. He could barely walk with the left front leg damaged and I could see alot of blood. I heard him thrash a couple times about 60 yds away in a ravine. Left him until 7pm when I returned with my tracking crew (brother Kevin and sons Austin & Dalton) He only went 35 yds from where I last found blood and he was piled up! The arrow NEVER entered the chest cavity! It must have struck an artery in the front leg right near the armpit. Boy, somebody was watching over me. Nice 9pt, 170lbs. Great way to start the season.

1 comment: