Friday, December 18, 2009

DECEMBER 18, 2009 BLACK POWDER SEASON

This morning i went out, it was by far the coldest morning I've been out this year. It was very noisy, and crunchy snow. I Sat in the spot i sat in during bow season just 30 yards lower from where i got my 10 pointer. At about 8:15 I heard this loud noise to my left and it was coming closer and closer. I Heard the noise from a long ways away. Crunch, Crunch, i looked to my left and there's one deer...two deer...three deer... four deer...five deer...six deer...seven deer...eight deer, i lost track, there were between 8- 12 deer all together they sounded like a heard of elephants coming. They were forty yards from me, but not a single horn, all baldies. They had no clue i was there. I think they ended up bedding on a side hill near me. Then at about 8:40 I heard another noise to my left, and it was one single deer all by itself. She came near me and started stomping her feet, then she takes off blowing at me. It was another baldy by the way, no horns. NO DOE PERMIT. So I sat there wondering, did these deer already start losing there horns. I really think the second deer that came to me (the one by itself) was a buck but with no horns. In this spot I have seen so many deer this year. A honey hole and a natural travel corridor. Guess where I'll be tomorrow, this same spot. But let me tell it was one cold sit I was chattering like a chipmunk. But it was worth it.

1 comment:

  1. On Monday Dec. 14 I had 9 does come in and watched them for about an hour. The next day I went back and a solo deer came at 4:30. I thought for sure it must be a buck since it was all alone. It was only 30 yards away and I looked it over with my scope but I couldn't see any horns. I wondered the same thing, could they have dropped their horns by now. I think so. A deer alone this time of year seems like it would be a buck.

    ReplyDelete