Tuesday, December 8, 2009

First Week of Shotgun/European Mount




The first week of shotgun season is over. I have not seen a single deer in (4) half day hunts (mornings). There are still a few scrapes being made but activity is much slower and there were quite a few hunters in the woods through the opening days. Its going to take a lot of luck to run into a good deer after a full week of hard pressure.
On a different note I have pretty much finished the European mount of my deer, and have added the pictures. The how-to portion goes like this:
1. I skinned the entire skull and cut off any meat that I could with a sharp knife, be careful to not cut any of the bone. Remove the eyes (not easy) and with a coat hanger remove as much brain tissue you can. I also carefully separated the lower jaw at this time.
2. I then brought a pot full of water (not the wifes cooking pot), and small amount of dish detergant (2 tblsp as a degreaser) to a simmer(not a full boil). Place the skull in the water for 15 or 20 minutes, remove/pull/cut off any loose meat. Repeat this several times until the skull is clean. It will take a lot of work, there are a lot of tendons and muscles that do not come off easily.
3. I then let the skull sit in a large bucket of water for a couple weeks to loosen up and remaining bits of meat. I then used an exacto knife to cut the small pieces off. Once this is complete scrape and wash any little pieces that remain and allow the skull to dry.
4. To whiten the skull I used 40% peroxide (not the stuff used for cleaning scrapes) this stuff I order from a taxidermy website (it was $8 for a quart). I mixed the peroxide with powdered bleach to make a paste. I brushed the paste onto the skull and let it sit overnight. Be careful not to get the paste on the horns or they will turn white ( I did read that you can use wood stain to color them if you do get bleach on them by accident). I only did it once and it came out pretty white, but the process can be repeated.
It probably took a total of 24 hours of work. I think it looks good and is cheaper than a full mount ($8 for peroxide + $10 for a pot+ $3 for powdered bleach). I think its a better option for a good deer that doesn't quite reach the mark of getting full mount, but yet is too big to just cut the horns off of. If anyone wants to give it try and needs any help, let me know.

1 comment: