Sunday, November 30, 2014

First buck of the season


I didn't get nearly the ammount of time I wanted to to hunt this November but I was fortunate enough to take the 3rd week off. The last week off work before my vacation dragged on and I found myself debating where to go i hadn't been getting pictures but I knew both my stands were good cruise spots. Saturday morning I found myself hiking up to a stand I call the passage it's in a saddle on too of a very steep mountain and there's nothing pleasant about getting to it but the deer love it up there. I made a few mock scrapes as I made my way in and coated them with a buck bomb along with some saplings and brush then climbed into my stand. About a half hour after it got light I started doing some light calling doe bleats mixed with grunts every so often. At about 815 I heard something crashing up on the ledges to my left the last place I expected deer to come out of but sure enough I caught movement then horns and this deer was on a bee line straight down the ledges right at me. It was all I could do to stand up and grab my bow and this deer was at 5 yards sniffing around at the buck bomb all wound up he wouldn't sit still. Finally he turned and went to a mock scrape a had at 10 yards but was facing directly away from me so I wouldn't shoot then he made his fatal mistake he turned to the right took a step and at that he was broadside at 10 yards and I was at full draw and let one fly. He took a couple bounds then stopped with no idea what happened then I saw him get the wobbly legs and he was in the dirt... An awesome way to start my week off a nice 130 lb 5 pointer 

No comments:

Post a Comment